Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Electrolyte Experimentation

Distance: 18.18km
Time: 2.16.29
Pace: 7:30min/km
Average heart rate: 152 (78%)

Our group’s first 18k! For many, this was the longest distance they’ve ever run in their lives! For me, it was the longest distance I’ve run since October 2013. I felt high energy and relaxed the entire run. My longtime running friend from Calgary joined us, and ran the first 14km with us before heading back (she was scheduled for 16km that day, plus had a 3 hour drive home after and didn’t want to overdo it). There were a few minor turn-backs where we went out about 25-50m before realizing we were going the wrong way and heading back to the correct route. But not too bad! I had been given 3 different 18k routes…an 18.1, 18.5, and 18.9km route. Since it was our first 18k, I opted for the shortest distance (18.1km). Unfortunately, this route had about 4 big hills in it…at around 3k, 6k, 11k, and 15k. Good thing for all the hill training we’ve been doing the last month!

I was also experimenting with a new electrolyte drink that I purchased. What I learned:
-I need to hydrate more the day before my long run!
-the electrolyte mix was perfect. I had the citrus flavour, which cut the sweetness nicely. The taste was fresh and delicious, and did not leave me with an aftertaste and did not cause me to feel increased thirst. I also felt it did a good job of keeping my energy up for the run.
-I need to purchase a third water bottle for my belt. It has 3 holders, but I threw out the third bottle years ago when I discovered it had collected mold inside. But two bottles wasn’t enough on Sunday! I finished my first two bottles in the first 15km, and was really missing the fluids the last 3k. This is also likely impacted by my poor pre-run hydration.

Now is where things will get interesting: officially, my marathon training starts this Tuesday. But since I’m coaching until May 12th, it will be a bit of a mixed bag for running these next few weeks, as I continue to coach the half marathon group while adding to my own training time.

No comments:

Post a Comment