Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Talking to Myself

I had a great plan! It was a planned plan.

Step 1: Go out for a 5k tempo run.
Step 2: Get back to the store and meet my running clinic. Join them for the second (their first) 5k tempo, to make my total distance 10k.
Step 3: Give an awesome talk about speed training
Step 4: Home with a smile!

Step 1 went well. I mean, I accidentally stepped in a slush mound of melting snow and soaked my feet, but otherwise, it went well. 5k done!

Step 2. I waited happily for my clinic members. And while I waited, I even got to sit in the next clinic group's talk. Lots of people signed up for the half/full combined! And even a few in the full marathon clinic, too. With the group leaders, it looks to be around 20 members. Awesome! So happy I will have other marathoners joining me. But...where's my clinic? I was so proud of the talk I'd researched for and prepared. But what if nobody showed up? If there are no clinic members to hear me, would it be weird to present to myself?

Step 3. My clinic members didn't show up, and so I decided to forego the talk. It will keep for another week, if needed. At first I felt a bit let down. But, I thought, I could go out and join the new group for the 6k run! ... I tried. But I was cold from sitting down so long and the wind chill really hit me as soon as I walked outside. I didn't think it would be a really good idea for me to go...I was too chilled.

Step 4: Home! And even with a smile. Because it's okay when life doesn't go as planned. I still got out there and ran a 5k, listened to a great introductory talk to the new clinic, and have 19 more weeks to go.

Distance: 5.3km
Time: 30.41
Pace: 5.49min/km
Heart rate: 166 (86%)

No comments:

Post a Comment