Thursday, April 5, 2018

Pull Back

Ah, yes! That beautiful level of fitness when 12k feels like a short distance! I always know my training is going well when I reach that point!

We got a bit lost (my fault: I should have double checked that the directions were correct!), and ended up going a wee bit farther.

Total distance: 13.1km
Total time: 1.34.47
Pace: 7.14min/km
Heart rate: 157bpm (83%)

I was really nervous planning the route: I had a loop planned, but the weather was super cold on Sunday morning. -22C with wind chill cold. When I saw that, I couldn’t believe it. Part of me hoped it was an April Fool’s joke? But no; the joke was on us. The weather really was That Cold!

I wasn’t sure how prepared everyone was and if we should stick to 5k laps near the store. But the others convinced me that we were Tough. We are Canadian, after all! And we’ve just survived a cold winter. -22C is nothing to worry about! So off on the 12k loop we went. As soon as we got out of the river valley and into the sun, the temperature must have risen at least 5C (in feel, if not in reality). They were right; it wasn’t that bad after all!

It has been 3 weeks in a row of tough conditions for our Sunday long runs. First it was the deep snow, then the ice, then the cold. Personally, I found the deep snow the toughest and most depressing to slog through. But regardless, I’m getting really, really sick of all these winter weather challenges! Spring is taking a very long time to settle in up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment