Sunday, June 10, 2018

Now I Know

MEC 21.1km Race.
I picked this race because a) it was cheap, and b) the timing felt about right.

The Goal: sub-2.10.00

The weather: hot & a bit windy
Ready, Set...
I allowed myself to take Wednesday night hills off as my "taper" for this race. I felt ready, and nervous. Despite all of my fancy, "it's just a training race" talk, I definitely felt my pre-race jitters!

It started off great: I was on-pace (5.47min/km) and doing my 10:1 run:walk. It was an out and back course, so I could monitor the landmarks to know what was coming. At 3k we started down a huge hill. Oh boy! This will be tough to come back up! I may have to give myself an extra couple of minutes!

At 7k (1/3 through the course), I started to feel the fatigue. The run/walks were wonderful. A lot of times I just focussed on keeping my pace until the next walk break. While I was still going strong, I felt a niggling doubt creep into my mind that I could maintain my 5.47 pace to reach my sub-2.10 goal.

At the halfway mark, I was at 1.02.25 - this was perfect! I would need the extra few minutes to help me get up the hill! I had noticed the course was more downhill than up on the way out, so time to dig deep and find it in me to keep going back.

At about 11k, I opted to slow my pace down, just a little. Instead of 5.47 I went for a 5.57 pace. I knew I was slowing down, but I wanted to be realistic. And I could still keep within my goal at a sub-6 pace!

At 16k - with just 5k to go - I was right on target. Booyeah!
Feeling Strong & Confident 1km into the course!

And then the hill started.

Slow and gentle at first, it climbed slowly but surely for the next 1.5km, at which point we started into the steep, switchback section of the hill. Halfway up I saw a poor cyclist crash as she was riding down. I'm not sure what happened! One minute she was on her bike the next she was kissing pavement as she slid a bit down the hill. Fortunately, she had a friend with her. I had been prepared to stop, but they waved on the runners and cyclists ahead of me so I had the feeling she was doing okay. Double fortunately, there was a paramedic (courtesy of the race) sitting just at the top of the hill. One of the people in front of me must have sent her down the hill, because she passed me as I continued my trek to the top.

At the top of the hill I had just 3km to go. And I could see that if I could run the last 3k at a 6 min pace, I would easily make my goal.

I tried to do this. I really, really tried. But my leg muscles were shaking with exhaustion and I just couldn't find it within me. I settled on putting one foot in front of the other and pushing myself as hard as I could, even if my pace was slowing down.

I passed one lady with less than 1k to go. She didn't come with me. I then passed a gentleman with 400m left. At first I thought I would beat him as I began to out-pace him with less than 200m until the finish line. At first he let me pass him and I surged ahead...but then he must have changed his mind and the race was on.

Finishing just behind one of my competitors



Clearly he had more left in his tank than I did, and with 50m to go I conceded defeat and settled for just finishing.

Total time: 2.13.02
Total distance: 21.1km
Average pace: 6.18min/km
Average HR: 161bpm (83% of max)

That last 400m was at a 4.15 pace!

Although I look disappointed, I'm not. Just 100% exhausted!
My poor husband - who has never watched me race a half marathon before - made the mistake of coming up to me as soon as I crossed the finish line, only to get a very rude push away. It was a rookie mistake! After about 5 minutes (when I finally caught my breath enough that I knew I wouldn't pass out), I kindly explained to him why breathing was more important to me than hugging immediately after a sprint finish. Awkwardly, I think this might have been caught by the MEC photographer...

But now I know:

1) Barring anything unexpected, I will be able to complete my full marathon despite my knee problems! Evidence - running today's half marathon with zero knee pain!
2) A 4.15 finish time goal is probably unrealistic for me for the full marathon. I will reset my goal to a sub-4.30. Evidence - not being able to sustain a sub 2.10 on today's race!

Because that was the primary goal for this race: it was testing the waters for my marathon so I could ask myself, will I be ready? Can I do this? The answer is yes - so long as I reset my goals to make them realistic for me.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Laura! I love the blog post, inspires me to think about putting my running shoes back on again & hitting the sidewalks :)

    ReplyDelete