Friday, June 8, 2018

Skeptically Improving

It’s hard to judge improvements in outdoor distance running. There are so many factors to consider! For example, I can’t control the weather (e.g.: rain, heat, cold, wind, etc.), or even the route (e.g.: hills, traffic lights, etc). But as someone who is desperately hoping for improvements from the heart rate training, I will take what I can get!
So on that note, on Tuesday I ran just under 6k.

Total time: 34.22
Total distance: 5.86
Average pace:  5.52min/km
Average HR: 85%

Previously, I had also run about 6k, where my pace was 6.03min/km. This is an improvement of 11 sec/km for keeping within the same heart rate! Again, I feel confident I’m on the right track, but the skeptical part of me is saying, so what? I can run that FASTER. I’ll only count this training as showing “REAL” improvement when I run consistent PBs.

After all, considering my A-goal marathon pace is 5.47min/km (with 10:1 run:walk breaks), and considering that I am only now running 14% of the distance at 5 seconds over that goal pace, I still have a L-O-N-G way to go! I’ll need to have a lot more improvements within the next 10.5 weeks for me to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment