Thursday, June 28, 2018

Reaching for the Max

Tonight was a struggle. My body did NOT want to run hills. But since there was nothing seriously wrong, I had to fight the little mental complaints: my right hamstring felt tight; I was tired; my legs felt heavy; and blah, blah, blah.

Only one of my fellow marathoners showed up, so we tackled the hill together. 8 repeats, plus a long jog there and back. I was really curious about my max heart rate, so by the 3rd repeat I was focussed on trying to see how high it would actually go. I noticed that with every repeat it became a little bit higher and climbed a little bit quicker.
Hills are a mental game: if I sat there and thought about the 8 repeats, I would have felt defeated from the start. Instead, I focused on breaking it into 2 sets of 4 hills, and I made my goal to reach my max heart rate (or close to) every time. I found that I didn't get close until the second half of the set.

Total Time: 1.23.06min
Total Distance: 13.00km
Average Pace: 6.24min/km
Average HR: 162bpm (83.5%)
Max HR: 191bpm (98.5%)

Pretty close! I hope this doesn't mean I should lower my max heart rate calculations.

No comments:

Post a Comment