Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A New PB :)

Today I set myself the goal of running under a 5.00 pace for whatever we did. Which, as it turned out, was 500m, 1000m, 1500m reps. So that would mean I would need to run under 2.30, 5.00, and 7.30 for those distances.
The 1k in particular is something I look forward to running because I find it a really good measure for "how am I doing". When I was at my best earlier in the year, I managed to do consecutive 1k reps between 4.37-4.54 minutes.
I didn't measure the first 500m rep, but I timed the subsequent reps as follows:

1k: 4.30
1500m: 7.22
500m: 2.24
1k: 5.02

I was a bit naughty and didn't push myself as hard as I could have on that last rep, but I was still floating on the joy of running a 4.30 in my first 1k rep. 4.30!!! A new personal best by 7 seconds! I was flying through it.
As I was sharing my joy with pretty much everyone (what's the point in running with a group if you can't brag a little?), a friend pointed out to me that he remembered the day - not all that long ago - when I was running 6.00 over a 1k rep. That's a 25% reduction in my 1k time.
Sure, my recovery was shocking - everyone passed me in the recovery - but it is so great to feel like my speed and endurance is starting to come back. Bring on the 500k relay!

No comments:

Post a Comment