Saturday, November 3, 2012

Running & Boot Camp

Thank you Queensland for providing such beautiful running weather in November! I remember moving down four years ago at the end of October and finding it hot and sticky. Granted, I may have come from Canadian cold weather, but it was still hot by local standards.
And so running 12k today was a welcome gift. Especially since I'd committed to a mid-morning (8.30am) hour long boot camp session with my friend post-run. Yes, 8.30am is mid-morning for those of us who get up at a much earlier time on Saturday.
The 12k started out fast. It always starts out fast for the slow of us. While normally I don't mind going semi-fast for a little 12k, today was a bit different.
Not only did I have the upcoming boot camp session, but I was also very much aware that my calve muscles and my gluteus muscles were still recovering from Thursday's hill session. Like a freight train, I was slow to get going and had great difficulty stopping. But once I had momentum it wasn't too bad.
At the 2nd last water station on the way up (4.5k mark) some people were turning back, and I came thisclose to joining them. But a fellow running friend convinced me to run the extra 1.5k to the end - really, not much further - with the enticing promise that she would run slow with me (or was I to run slow with her?).
In any case, we dropped it back to a beautiful 6.30 pace. All the easier to talk!
At the end I lingered to chat with some runners I hadn't talked to on the run. I wanted to stay longer, but I also needed my second breakfast before the boot camp session. Now the big question of the day is: should I go for a third breakfast, or wait for lunch? Tough decisions in the life of a slow runner!

Total time: 1.17min
Total distance: 12.37km
Total elevation: 205m
Average pace: 6.13min/km

No, I didn't keep boot camp stats. All I can say is there was a lot of sprinting, stair climbing, and squats. Wasn't I the happy one!

2 comments:

  1. I think you're becoming a hobbit. First breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses ... Next you'll be growing hairy feet and hanging out with dwarves (no disrespect meant to our illustrious coach).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was thinking the same thing! I eat like a hobbit. :) I'm still working on those hairy feet. I haven't shaved them in over 20 years and they still aren't hairy. I guess I'll have to settle for a hobbit appetite instead.

    ReplyDelete