Saturday, November 10, 2012

Powerful Owl

On Thursday we had a trail run! Hooray! Unfortunately, said trail run was reps of "Powerful Owl" - the trail that both inspired a poem and caused some painful calves.
My quads were really feeling it that first rep up. Typically, I hit the hills with my ratio of 1:1. Can you see the "speed bumps" in the photo? I walk one, run one, walk one, run one, etc. This somehow manages to get me to the top - with difficulty.

Well, the calibre of the group was such that I could feel the peer pressure to push myself even harder. So I ran up as much of the hill as I could before I started to walk/run it.
Our coach was somewhere at the top, and we had to get to him before turning around. He promised us that each time he would come closer down the hill.
Being the last person up, he ran down a distance with me and the 2nd last person as we headed for the bottom. As we passed other runners, my friend and I yelled out encouragement - "he's not far!" and "he's moved down a fair bit this time!"
Unbeknownst to us, we were liars! Our sneaky coach had decided to run back up the trail to where he was initially! Actually, that second time up I was so exhausted I wasn't paying attention. It was someone else that pointed it out to me. Many someones else pointed it out to me. Sorry, all!
The second time up I walked much more of it, but I still managed a ratio of 2:1 (two running, one walking). One of my fellow runners smiled at my ratio talk, but it helps me push myself up the hill. I think otherwise I would look at it from the bottom and decide to walk the whole way. I admit, when I saw the front possee walking up sections of the hill on their 2nd and 3rd laps, it made me feel a heap better!

Total time: 54.09
Total distance: 5.55km
Total elevation: 328m
Average pace: 9.45min/km

No comments:

Post a Comment