Sunday, November 11, 2012

To Boldly Run

Today I shook up my routine and boldly ran where I have never run before. I got up extra early to drive about 25min north to meet up with some fellow trail runners - most of whom I'd never met before. I was rather nervous, but my fellow Whitsunday runner Barry was there and once again promised to hang back and run with slow little me. Looking around at all the muscle in the group, I was rather grateful! Everyone was looking pretty fit in the group and I worried I was out of my speed class...something that happens a fair bit!
12 runners set off at a rip-roaring pace...and I desperately clung to the back of the group, fearing I would get lost within the first km out.

 Barry and me in our matching Whitsunday Run shirts trying to keep up with the group on one of the hills. (Me trying, Barry offering encouragement)

Fortunately, it is the kind of running group that appreciates slow runners. They delegated a "sweeper" to make sure we didn't run on our own. Also, the group stopped at every junction long enough for the slow of us not just to catch up, but also to catch our breath! It is easy for faster runners to forget that even though they may have been resting up for the past 5min, some of us just climbed to the top of that hill, thank you very much! I can be guilty of it myself ("great, you're here. Let's get going then!")

 Just after a rest point, as you can tell by the fact that other runners are behind me!

The caboose of the train - a very important part! I do my job well.

 Despite the rain of the previous day, the trails were still in great condition for running.

 A rolled over car. I have no idea how this rusted old relic arrived at this part of the trail, but I did laugh at seeing the brand new "L-plate" (learner's plate) stuck onto the back.

It was a beautiful trail run...different, too, which was exciting. I was grateful to have Barry once again watching out for me and hanging back so I wasn't alone. It's great that now I've found a group that adores Sunday morning trails - or any day trails. And one of the best parts is that they take photos that I can steal.

Some of the pics of the trails

 Total time: 1.19.09
Total distance: 10.9km
Elevation: more than some runs, less than others.
Average pace: 7.15min/km

No comments:

Post a Comment