Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Melbourne Cup Race

Today I ran the Melbourne Cup Race! Sort of.
So I wasn't riding a horse, and our little race at speed session is not close to being "The Race That Stops The Nation", but our coach had us run a 3.2km timed race. We even had handicaps.
I was happily in the second best handicap group with 5 other racers. We started off strong. Then I straggled and fell behind. And proceeded over the next lap and a half to watch everyone else pass me. Of course it had nothing to do with me as a runner - I was just given the wrong handicap!

To put things into perspective: Had Galeforce Running Squad's "Melbourne Cup Race" been like the real thing, that would have been me on the far right, in purple. Ride, purple jockey! Ride like the wind!

But before this ill-fated race, something happened that had me smiling with triumph for the rest of the day.
I felt that I was getting my old energy back! Finally, finally, my health has returned. Now if only I could say the same for my fitness.
Our first rep was "one mile" also known as 1600m. Yikes! I was super worried about this as my legs were still recovering from Saturday's double hitter of exercise.
I didn't run my heart out - I paced myself appropriately for such a long distance.
And completed it at an average pace of 4.47!
I then proceeded to blitz the following three 400m reps at an average pace of 4.15! Granted, we had a 400m recovery between each and I was passed by many a runner in that phase. But so what? Recovery is for recovery.
So by the time the Melbourne Cup race came at the end, I knew I was deservedly exhausted.
I can't remember my exact Melbourne Cup time. Suffice it to say, it was far longer than the 3 minutes or so it takes the horses to run the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment