Saturday, July 6, 2013

Back in Time

Form, form, form!
That was my focus for this week's New Farm ParkRun. I started with a 3k warm-up before hitting the 5k timed run. My goal was to not worry about speed. I tried instead to run with perfect technique and be aware when things changed (e.g.: when I fatigued or slacked).
2k into the 5k, I started to fatigue - keep in mind this is also after a 3k warm-up! I could hear my footsteps get heavier and feel myself start to drag. My calf muscles felt like I'd done 100 jumping jacks ("star jumps"). I'm wondering if I'm landing too far forward on my toes, or if I'm simply that weak in my calf muscles.
Regardless the reason, I slowed the pace back until I felt that my form was improved. Gradually, I started speeding back up. I maintained a steady pace for a while and then my footsteps started to get loud and heavy once again. So, down I slowed once again.
This cycle happened a few more times in the final part of the race.
Interestingly, the first thing to weaken were my calves today.
For all this new running form is supposed to be energy efficient, it sure did wear me out today! I squeaked in at just over 29min. I could have gone faster, but I'm not sure how I would've maintained my form. Or maybe I was more tired because I was going too slow for such awesome technique. Hmm. Lots to think about over the next few weeks as I prepare for Jetty2Jetty. Lots to discuss with my coach!

No comments:

Post a Comment