Thursday, July 18, 2013

Return to Thursday morning

Today I went to my second - count it! - second Thursday morning session. Thursday mornings with my new running group are just a little bit earlier (5.15am) and a little bit farther. I can faithfully set my alarm for 4.55am, but there is something about 4.30am that seems infinitely earlier in the morning.
Last night I desperately tried to think of an excuse to not set my alarm for 4.30am. But I had a 10k long run on my program for this week, and darned if I was going to let laziness get in the way of my training!
I went through a quick check in my mind: Could I run later on Thursday? Nope. Friday morning? Nope. Friday afternoon? Yep. (But would I run 10k Friday afternoon? Nope). Saturday anytime? Nope.
So it came down to Thursday morning. But on the bright side, I'd actually do my long run, and I'd get to run with others!
I met the group and we set off in the dark. There were lots of marathoners recovering or tapering and everyone had a different goal set out by our lovely coach. As we started off, my coach offered me words of encouragement. She had read my blog about Tuesday's session and offered me some fabulous advice and support. Always appreciated!
I joined up with two other gals who were planning to run at the same pace as my "long run" was meant to be. We had a great time chatting away.  It was a small struggle after the first couple of k's, but never to the point where I had to stop talking - thank goodness! - or lag behind the others. We kept a steady 6min pace for the duration, which totalled around 13k. I'm not sure exactly, as I didn't have my fancy watch on.
I felt pretty great. The day was cool and the company delightful. Suddenly, setting my alarm at 4.30am on a Thursday doesn't feel so bad any more...but I'll reserve judgement until next Thursday rolls around!

No comments:

Post a Comment