Saturday, July 13, 2013

Endurance Run at Park Run & Video-Strides

My first official run on my new training program! I'm super jazzed about this awesome program my coach put together for me. He not only gave me the distances, he also gave me a goal pace for every run!
Today's run: 5k endurance run (50-70sec slower than race pace). For me, that falls between 5.50-6.20min/km.
So off I went to Park Run, bringing along my friend Chris. Sadly, she wasn't able to run at this pace today, so I was on my own. I was actually very curious to see how I'd go holding a steady pace at this speed. Steady pace has not been my strong suit these past few weeks! I've mostly been dying off within a couple of k's from the start.
Off we went and I had the strange luxury of having to slow myself down constantly. Every time another runner passed me I couldn't help but thinking, I can beat this person and would inevitably find myself speeding up. A quick glance at my watch (thank you, Garmin!) would pull me up quickly.
I have never been a "negative split" runner. I've always liked the idea of negative splits (i.e. running the second part of the race faster than the first), but in reality I'm a little bit too optimistic about what my race goal will be. I just feel so bouncy and energetic the first few k's and I think, surely I can go faster. THIS race I won't burn out!
And I do...burn out, I mean.
So I kept it steady and pulled in to the finish just over 30min. Excellent! Right on target!
Showing off my new running technique...just kidding! I was actually going for a fantastic finish-line-leap, but the camera missed the jumping action.

When I got home, Chris kindly stood out in the cold weather to film me doing a super-short stride attempting my new running technique. She took about 14 videos, and I've posted one of them below. Perfect form? Nope. Improved? I hope so! I wanted to get some footage of what I actually look like when I run now, so I can hopefully spot the errors of my ways and fix them. I'm glad that I don't look like the hopping kangaroo I had imagined. 
I'm not opposed to hearing any suggestions on ways to improve. :) And just for the record, these video-strides felt a lot faster than they look!

1 comment:

  1. Your strides look strong and long. Looks good to me, non-runner that I am!

    ReplyDelete