Monday, July 15, 2013

Good Enough

Trail run day! Last time on the trails (in MAY!) I took a tumble. Today, with wet ground, two sore Achilles, and questionable fitness levels I was a tad nervous.
 There is one thing to be said for rejoining the trail runners on Sunday morning: if I was getting a big ego about my quickening speed, this deflated it as effectively as a nail on a tire. Yep, my head which had been swelling with pride became as de-swollen as a bee sting after Benadryl.

Run, rabbit, run!

There is something very humbling about going your hardest, doing your best...and being dead last. If you have never experienced that in your life, you are rare! I wouldn't say "lucky" - just "rare".
But the day was cool with a beautiful mist winding throughout the forest, and to my great fortune, some steep hills and rocky trails were just what the doctor ordered for my poor Achilles. In no time at all I was chugging along pain-free. And best of all, the trail runners were as friendly as ever. They stopped frequently to allow me to catch up & catch my breath and at no point did my best feel not good enough.
When we got back to the parking lot, I opted to go home rather than back up another hill for a 3k loop. I was happy with my 10k effort for the day. No sense pushing too hard in my first run back!

What a fantastic, colourful group! I'm in the front middle-ish in the purple shirt & red hat. (Stylin'!)

Our fearless leader of the group composed an awesome video of us running. If you can't find me, just wait until everyone (or nearly everyone!) has run by. As you can see by all the smiles and camera antics, we had a great day, whatever our speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment