Saturday, August 24, 2013

Dedicated With Love

Last week, I learned that my grandmother had passed away unexpectedly. Both my grandparents have been such influential supporters of my running. When I write my blog, I am often thinking of them. It was with great sadness that I found out this news. Unfortunately for my race tomorrow, this news hit the same day that I got sick.
So instead of making the most of my last week of training before the Sunshine Coast 5k, I have spent the week curled up in bed with a box of tissues by my side.

 Visiting my fabulous grandparents in May this year

Alas! I remember last time I had a sinus infection was right before my Gold Coast Half Marathon. Instead of using running gels, I got my sugar from cough drops. That race stands as my recorded PW ("personal worst") for a half marathon. Thankfully, this is just a 5k. I may not get the PB I was aiming for, but I know I'll stumble my way through it without too much drama.
So I haven't run this week. But I have still been involved with running. As you may know, I have fallen in love with the free Park Run events every Saturday. And one thing Park Run requests is that every runner gives back to the event by volunteering 3x a year. I have already signed up for my 3x, but I noticed (before I got sick) that they were still short a couple volunteers this week, so I put my hand up.
I used to think of running as an individual sport, but it's not. There's a real sense of community to it. And for a sport that has given me so much joy, it is great to be able to give back once in a while.

Modelling the sexy orange volunteer outfits. I don't know about the others, but I volunteer just so I can wear the shirt.

So today I sat on the sidelines and shared the joy of the runners after they crossed the finish line. Tomorrow, I will run the best 5k I can. And always, I will be remembering my grandmother with love.

1 comment:

  1. just lovely. Great photos. I will send this link to Suzanne so she can show Grampy while she is in FL.

    ReplyDelete