Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Life's Like That

First, thanks to the support I received from everyone! I got a lot of encouragement and it's great to know so many people believe in me & are behind me. A lot of people have pointed out "7th place out of 160 in your category! Why are you complaining?" And I answer that while the placement is nice, I'm ultimately competing against myself. If I had run a sub-25min but come in dead last in the race I would have been thrilled. But running a disappointing race leaves me...well, disappointed in myself.

Onwards to today! We had 5x 100m reps and 100m recovery followed by 3x1k splits with a 1k recovery jog in between. My legs felt quite leaden this morning so I wasn't expecting much. I kept to the 26sec pace my coach had set me for the 100m reps.
For the 1k splits, I was given a time of 4.48min/km. I was curious to see how I'd go. I had struggled so much in Sunday's 5k race and this morning I was definitely feeling more sluggish than before. Actually, it felt like someone had injected my legs with lead overnight.
I joined a couple other gals who were about my pace (or rather, slightly faster) and off we went. And in a twist that life gives you, I ran every 1k rep faster than I can remember. My split times were:
4.41 / 4.42 / 4.38
And I was slowing it down so I didn't burn myself out. In other words, I could have gone faster than what I did. It would have been interesting to see how I would have held up after 5 or 6 reps. Maybe I would have crashed and burned, but maybe I would have kept the consistency.
But still, for feeling so much worse today, I ran so much better! Life's funny like that, sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Love your insights. They apply to running and life in general. I relate to the life in general connection more than running since a runner I am not. (Though a walker I am and I do notice some days I float on my walks and on others, I plunk along,..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think there are so many factors that affect our bodies we don't even think about. For example, what we eat, how we've been sleeping, stress, hormones, etc.

      Delete